Friday, 16 December 2016

Partying with the BESTEST

TO be honest, most partying is the bestest.  But last night I did have a ball, with a bunch of awesome ladies who sparkle brightly in so many ways. 

I had started the evening meeting up with a friend, who lives next door to my parents.  She's a supremely talented musician who creates music the way I create art - she was visiting Brighton for work, so we met up near her hotel in the rather fab Cocktails Shack at the Artists Residence Hotel.  I had a Beetnik Nora which was appropriate given I was dressed up for a Jazz party as a Beatnik.

After that I went on to the Jazz Party - which was in a beautiful flat 17 floors up, lit by what seemed to be hundreds of candles. I loved being in the company of such inspiring women.  Women who do such brave, fabulous, gorgeous things in the world. 

We drank champagne cocktails, perhaps a little too many, and talked about what we were letting go of from 2016 and what we wanted to bring in more of for 2017.

I am letting go of the effort to describe what I do as two things. 

I don't know if you have been with me on this journey, I guess it stems from historically, when People Who Do ended and I was left without work.  I had all these skills that had no where to go.

I love this work as much as I love my art.  And its necessary to me on a personal level, not just professionally.

Its the part of me that loves decluttering, that needs order and discipline to function well. 

However my delight, lies in the Wild and Crazy ART I make.  The PLAYfull creative side of me.

It has been brewing for a while.  But last week on a thing called Walk and Talk for success, a fellow walker reflected back to me, that to her it seemed that I have a job, doing the Productivity Stuff.  (and it has transpired that it came back and I do work with a new company Then Somehow, and this is really blossoming and growing) but that MY business.  MY OWN BUSINESS was the creativity stuff. 

And it sorted clicked into place. yes.  So in future, I am focusing on the creativity stuff.  I will still do the other stuff, but its not FIRST.  Its part of what I do.  Its not "my business". 

There is a whole host of stuff to flow freely from this.  But fundamentally it gives me clarity on how I present me.  I am part of one thing, and I am driving the other. 

I have always felt that any organisational stuff is really and truly about MAKING TIME & SPACE FOR CREATIVITY.  whether that be in a corporate environment where folk NEED to have time for strategic thinking, or in a creative space where folk NEED time for their creative inspirational work. 

That is what its about.  SO.  MORE OF CREATIVITY in 2017.  Bringing it in.  Time and space for creativity + play + magic + glee


No comments: