With my new methods of organising myself and keeping my brain free of clutter, I make a lot of notes of little commitments I make to myself, and I make sure I incorporate them into my lists. I have a list of 'back burner' things, that are really not at all urgent and I am not actually working on right now. It actually has a lot of really cool things in, this back burner list. Things like 'live in a converted horse box' or 'go to burning man' or 'go to Goa'. Its stuff I am interested in, but do not have the time nor money to pull off right now.
However, some of the things on my lists are just little things. One such little note was 'visit Eaton Nott on Preston Rd' . Its not something I really needed to do or anything, but it had been hanging around for sometime. I don't even know where the note came from and I had almost forgotten about what it was that had sounded so interesting about it. But, the other day, I found myself in the vicinity and with a little tiny bit of time to kill. So I got to tick it on my list.
WOW. What an extraordinary place. VERY VERY SPOOKY. It definitely fits under the whole Dark House umbrella. Its fascinating and beautiful and awful at the same time. Full of skulls. Mostly rats and birds, but also a fair amount of human skulls. And some human skeletons. And a horse's skull intricately carved. And extraordinary amazing costumes made from feathers and leather and skulls. And rat pelts. Her couture, and it is most definately couture, is entitled Road Kill Couture. And uses only bones and skin from farm, or erm, road kill.
I have to admit to feeling quite spooked by the human remains. And a bit queasy with the pickled baby mice in a jar. But the costumes were extraordinarily darkly weirdly beautiful. And some of the bird skull jewellery and fascinators, gothically awesome. I dunno. I dunno if my dark house could go that far. I could not be spooked in my own house. Feathers I am good with. Bones.... bones are too much. I am not so Gothic as that.
But it was, without a doubt, worth a visit, macabre and out there on its own limb. Two folk definately following their own passions. Taxidemy, bone collecting .... not your average pursuits...
No comments:
Post a Comment